Sample School Interview questions
Below are some interview questions to help your child prepare for their senior school interview. We have more interview questions and tips for parents on how to help their children prepare for their school interview in our guide.
So, tell me a bit about yourself
• where you live (town/countryside)
• what your parents do for a job
• where you go to school and how long you have been at school there
Tell me a bit about your current school
• Size, co-ed/single sex/boarding/day.
What subjects do you enjoy most?
Which subjects do you least enjoy?
How would your parents/teachers describe you in three words?
What makes you laugh?
What have you done recently to contribute to your community?
• Have you raised money for charity, been part of a school committee?
What are your hobbies/interests outside school?
Be prepared to talk in detail about these. Eg not just naming them, but expand on them to tell the interviewer how you are involved, how often and when?
What do you like to do in your spare time?
Do you have a favourite book?
What do you think are the qualities of a good teacher?
• Who is your favourite teacher at your current school?
• Does a good teacher lead to enjoyment of a subject?
Make sure you are aware of some the top stories of what it happening in the news. (UK, Europe and Worldwide).
• Do you listen to the news or watch the news on TV or on the Internet?
Do you have any questions for me?
• Review the school website and ask about something you have seen that is different from your current school or that you are passionate about
Repeating the question at the start of your answer gives thinking time
State your answer then always add ‘why’, because………
Look at the person in the eyes when speaking and smile often
For more interview questions, tips and support through the senior school entry process, take a look at our revised Interview and Senior School Entry Guide.
We believe that preparing for school interviews isn’t about coaching or parroting answers, but instead, building your child’s confidence so they feel their best selves on the day.
Our guide is £12.99 and is packed with our top advice to help prepare for school interviews.