Sample School Interview questions
So, tell me a bit about yourself
• where you live (town/countryside)
• what your parents do for a job
• where you go to school and how long you have been at school there
Tell me a bit about your current school
• Size, co-ed/single sex/boarding/day.
• Location, setting, atmosphere (eg friendly)
• Subjects you study and extra-curricular opportunities
• What happens during a typical school day/week?
• Is there anything you dislike? (briefly, don’t dwell on this)
Why would you like to come to school in the UK?
What subjects do you enjoy most?
Which subjects do you least enjoy?
Who are you?
How would your parents/teachers describe you in three words?
What makes you laugh?
What qualities make a friend your best friend?
What achievement are you most proud of?
Tell me about something you failed at?
What are your ambitions for the future?
Describe a situation that you have found difficult and how did you resolve it?
Who is your hero? Who inspires you?
What to you want to do for your career?
What have you done recently to contribute to your community?
• Have you raised money for charity, been part of a school committee?
• Have you been a prefect or house captain?
What are your hobbies/interests outside school?
Be prepared to talk in detail about these. Eg not just naming them, but expand on them to tell the interviewer how you are involved, how often and when?
What do you like to do in your spare time?
• Are you involved in sports, music, drama, art, design and technology?
• What have you achieved in these?
What is your favourite hobby?
Do you have a favourite book?
• who wrote it?
• why do you like it?
What are you reading at the moment?
If you had 2 hours of free time, what would you do with it?
How do you spend your weekends?
What do you think are the qualities of a good teacher?
• Who is your favourite teacher at your current school?
• Does a good teacher lead to enjoyment of a subject?
What are your thoughts on the single sex, vs. co-ed schools?
What might you change about your current school if you had the opportunity?
If you ruled the world, what would you do first?
If you had a superpower, what would it be and how would you use it?
Make sure you are aware of some the top stories of what it happening in the news. (UK, Europe and Worldwide).
• Do you read a paper?
• Do you listen to the news or watch the news on TV or on the Internet?
• Bbc.co.uk is a good source of daily news stories from around the world
What do you think of the UK’s vote for Brexit?
• EU trade between countries
• Expats living abroad or in the UK
Do you think Donald Trump is a good leader?
• What qualities make a good leader?
• Listening to all points of view, decisive, good communicator, honest, trustworthy
Do you have any questions for me?
• Review the school website and ask about something you have seen that is different from your current school or that you are passion about
• A new subject, a new sport, musical opportunity
• Show interest and enthusiasm to get involved
Repeating the question at the start of your answer gives thinking time
State your answer then always add ‘why’, because………
Look at the person in the eyes when speaking and smile often
Steer the questions to your comfortable areas of discussion by your answers.
Avoid mentioning things you are not comfortable to discuss
When you run out of things to say, stop talking!